Saturday, September 13, 2014

《迦叶狮子吼经》Mahasihanada Suttam [3]



Majjhima Nikaya No. 12: The Great Discourse on the Lion's Roar (Maha-sihanada Sutta)
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/wheel390.html


FOUR KINDS OF INTREPIDITY (dauntlessness: resolute courageousness, fearlessness)

22. "Sariputta, the Tathagata has these four kinds of intrepidity, possessing which he claims the herd-leader's place, roars his lion's roar in the assemblies, and sets rolling the Wheel of Brahma.

What are the four?

23. "Here, I see no ground on which any recluse or brahman or god or Mara or Brahma or anyone at all in the world could, in accordance with the Dhamma, accuse me thus: 
'While you claim full enlightenment, you are not fully enlightened in regard to certain things.' [72] And seeing no ground for that, I abide in safety, fearlessness and intrepidity.


24. "I see no ground on which any recluse... or anyone at all could accuse me thus: 
'While you claim to have destroyed the taints, these taints are undestroyed by you.' 
And seeing no ground for that, I abide in safety, fearlessness and intrepidity.


25. "I see no ground on which any recluse... or anyone at all could accuse me thus: 
'Those things called obstructions by you are not able to obstruct one who engages in them.' 
And seeing no ground for that, I abide in safety, fearlessness and intrepidity.


26. "I see no ground on which any recluse... or anyone at all could accuse me thus: 
'When you teach the Dhamma to someone, it does not lead him when he practices it to the complete destruction of suffering.' 
And seeing no ground for that, I abide in safety, fearlessness and intrepidity.


27. "A Tathagata has these four kinds of intrepidity, possessing which he claims the herd-leader's place, roars his lion's roar in the assemblies, and sets rolling the Wheel of Brahma.[14]


28. "Sariputta, when I know and see thus, should anyone say of me... he will wind up in hell.


THE EIGHT ASSEMBLIES

29. "Sariputta, there are these eight assemblies. 

What are the eight? 

An assembly of nobles, 
an assembly of brahmans, 
an assembly of householders, 
an assembly of recluses, 
an assembly of gods of the heaven of the Four Great Kings, 
an assembly of gods of the heaven of the Thirty-three, 
an assembly of Mara's retinue, 
an assembly of Brahmas. 

Possessing these four kinds of intrepidity, the Tathagata approaches and enters these eight assemblies.


30. "I recall having approached 
many hundred assemblies of nobles... 
many hundred assemblies of brahmans... 
many hundred assemblies of householders... 
many hundred assemblies of recluses... 
many hundred assemblies of gods of the heaven of the Four Great Kings... 
many hundred assemblies of gods of the heaven of the Thirty-three... 
many hundred assemblies of Mara's retinue... 
many hundred assemblies of Brahmas. 

And formerly I had sat with them there and talked with them and held conversations with them, yet I see no ground for thinking that fear or timidity might come upon me there. 
And seeing no ground for that, I abide in safety, fearlessness and intrepidity. [73]


31. "Sariputta, when I know and see thus, should anyone say of me... he will wind up in hell.


FOUR KINDS OF GENERATION

32. "Sariputta, there are these four kinds of generation. 

What are the four? 
Egg-born generation, 
womb-born generation, 
moisture-born generation and 
spontaneous generation.


33. "What is egg-born generation? 
There are these beings born by breaking out of the shell of an egg; this is called egg-born generation. 

What is womb-born generation? 
There are these beings born by breaking out from the caul; this is called womb-born generation. 

What is moisture-born generation? 
There are these beings born in a rotten fish, in a rotten corpse, in rotten dough, in a cesspit, or in a sewer; this is called moisture-born generation. 

What is spontaneous generation? 
There are gods and denizens of hell and certain human beings and some beings in the lower worlds; this is called spontaneous generation. 

These are the four kinds of generation.


34. "Sariputta, when I know and see thus, should anyone say of me... he will wind up in hell.


No comments:

Post a Comment