Sunday, March 18, 2012

In a twinkling of an eye


  • Book 155: - The Brilliance of Moonlight - Years in Small Retreat House

  • Written by: Living Buddha Lian-sheng, Sheng-yen Lu

  • Translated into English by: Lorraine Choon

  • Edited by: May Kwan

  • Proofread by: Mimosa

  • Terjemahan Indonesia : Dalam Sebuah Kedipan Mata
 

Paying respect to Mother Bodhisattva at Rainbow Villa's hill-lock.



Chapter 29: In a twinkling of an eye
One night, my mother, Lu Yu Nu (Mother Bodhisattva) appeared suddenly. My mother had passed away four years ago. Time has flown by.

Mother asked me, "How old were you when you left Taiwan for America?"

"It was 16th of June, and I was thirty-eight years old." I remembered very clearly.

"How old are you now?"

"Fifty-eight years old." I sighed.

Mother asked me, "How do you find the years in Seattle, America?"

I was taken by surprise, then replied: "In the twinkling of an eye."

Mother then asked, "How many twinkles do you have?"

I counted mentally; "If a twinkle is 'twenty years' then I'm already over three twinkles. Adding another twinkle would make eighty years, that is, almost eighty years old. It's frightening."

Mother asked me again, "Can you live until eighty years old? Live another twinkling of an eye?"

I was speechless. "No one has the ability to predict how long a person can live. Even If one could, then so what?"

Mother said, "Your grandfather, Lu Chang, passed away at the age of seventy four, and I lived to seventy three years old. Think about it, just how many more twinkles can you have for yourself?"

"Really no more." I answered.

Mother (Mother Bodhisattva ) told me, "In the samasaric world, laymen are aware of the short life span and transient nature of time. Time flies like a rocket, like a twinkling of an eye. Yet, when you urge them to practice Buddhism, they will become lazy and frustrated. Time to them is used for earning money, building up their careers, and supporting their families. This is fine but some people use their time to chat and to play around. What is worse is when time is used for endless socializing and for wasting. Time is constantly moving and stirred, and you can never stop the motion. At the end, they are only left with countless sorrow and passed memories."

Mother asked me: "What will you do when the weather is hot?"

"Here? I will swim." I answered.

"When the weather is cool?"

"I will put on another piece of clothing."

"When you are hungry?"

"I will eat."

"When you are sick?"

"I will take medicine."

Mother (Mother Bodhisattva) said, "People will not procrastinate the matters we have just discussed above, nor will they find excuses. They will resolve such matters straightaway, as it is natural for them to do so. You can tell that they truly work very hard to live a life and will definitely fight for it. However, when it comes to practicing Buddhism, people will not be so mindful. Therefore, when the subject of practice arises, they will find excuses to delay. They will think that it is not urgent and there is no need to hurry, rather, they prefer to wait. This kind of Buddhism practice will lag behind. Then, in a twinkle of an eye, death will arrive. People will not wake up, but rather, they will fall. A lot of people are like this."

I understood Mother Bodhisattva's concern.

Mother told me, "Take good care of your 'twinkling of time', like you take care of your precious belongings."

She continued, "Living in seclusion and detach from the outside world is the best of all."

Mother said, "Smart people are those who dutifully complete their daily cultivation. Everyday, one has to practice diligently and eradicate the unwholesome thoughts. Pay attention to the energies, distinguishing those that are purifying from those that are harmful to one's health and body. Learn to lead one's life with a peaceful and calm mind. 
One should always be mindful of death and hence one should strive to accumulate merits while one is still alive, so that there will be no regret when the time comes. 
It will be too late and futile by then.

Mother concluded, "Youth and health will not last forever, old age and sickness is approaching. It is just only in a twinkling of an eye."

As I was thinking of a twinkle, my mother has indeed left my secluded little hut in a twinkling of an eye.


Om Guru Lian Sheng Siddhi Hom
Lama Lotuschef

Edited 2 July 2016

1 comment:

  1. [...] Pranala ke Artikel dalam Bahasa Inggris : In a twinkling of an eye [...]

    ReplyDelete