Tuesday, July 26, 2011

26-7-2011 Visiting Mr. Li Ping-Nan



The Flying Carpet of the East 
By Living Buddha Sheng-yen Lu
Translated by Shan Tung Hsu P.hD., Bekka, Karin Greenway
This was translated from Grandmaster Lu's 31st book, 東方的飛氈.

CHAPTER 15 - Visiting Mr. Li Ping-Nan


In the Buddhists' circle, Li Ping-Nan is well known.
Although he is not a monk, his reputation is greater than that of many advanced monks.
He has lectured extensively on the sutras.
He is especially well known for expounding on the Amitaba sutra.
Because he teaches in universities and often helps students to establish study groups, the younger generation holds him in high regard.

"Amitaba," he said when he answered his door.
He was an old man.
He pressed his palms together in greeting and asked me into his house.

I explained that I had come for guidance.
I told him of my experiences and asked him to help me understand my path.

"Is all that you're telling me really true?" he asked.

"Absolutely true!" I answered firmly.

"I think this is not God; this is evil.
All the gods you have mentioned are non-Buddhists.
Only Buddha is the ultimate.
The difference between these gods and Buddha is the difference between the non-ultimate and the ultimate.
The gods mentioned, such as the Land gods and the City gods, ought to be ignored.
It isn't a matter of belief or not, it is just that Buddha is the One.
All these entities, these non-Buddhists, do nothing except enjoy their merit in heaven.
They themselves are not free from reincarnation, so how can they deliver people?
Be careful!
Evil is powerful, but it never can overcome non-evil."

"But San-shan-chiu-hou directed me to worship and chant to Buddha. How could this then be evil?"

"Dont't you know? Even chanting to Buddha can bring you in touch with the devil!"

I thought for a moment then said, "What? Chanting to Buddha can bring me into contact with the devil?
Then what should I do? Chant or not?"

"Well, you will not understand this for the time being.
You should just study the sutras and ignore whatever these beings or entities might say.
Don't listen to them.
Otherwise they will continue to suck your energy.
You will become weaker and weaker.
You will die."

"Wait a minute, Mr. Li.
San-shan-chiu-hou and all the other dieties I ever met have all been very loving and compassionate to me.
They have taught me to take refuge in Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.
They said that I should wholeheartedly turn to Buddha, Dharma and Virtue.
Is all of this wrong?
You know, I have also found myself getting more and more healthy.
There is nothing wrong with my body."

"Well, I don't understand it." He pulled a book from his bookshelf:

Introduction to Buddhism.
"The next time there is an initiation ceremony you should get initiated.
This is what you should read." He handed the book to me.

I said "I have read the Transmission of the Lamp, the Altar Sutra, and all the other Buddhist sutras.
I have a large library of sutras in my home. "

"This may be too elementary for you, but still it is worthwhile," Li answered.
He was surprised I'd read so much.

That evening San-shan-chin-hou came to me and asked, "Well, what do you think of Mr. Li and his comments?"

"Master! You know?"

"Yes. I was there."

"Master, what did you think of what Mr. Li said?"

"Buddhism and Taoism, like the red flower and the green leaves of the lotus, are one and the same. 
What can be learned is that the Tao and the Buddha are inside the Self. 
There is no outside. 
Too often it seems that the blind lead the blind. 

In truth, one cannot avoid evil in the world or be drawn to goodness in the world because the world is created by the Self."



Amituofo
Lotuschef
Pure Karma
True Buddha School


No comments:

Post a Comment