Tuesday, July 26, 2011

26-7-2011 Conversation At Feng-Lin Temple



The Flying Carpet of the East 
By Living Buddha Sheng-yen Lu
Translated by Shan Tung Hsu P.hD., Bekka, Karin Greenway
This was translated from Grandmaster Lu's 31st book, 東方的飛氈.

CHAPTER 11 - Conversation At Feng-Lin Temple


Feng-Lin Temple is in a village near Kao-hsiung Harbour by the ocean.
I love the ocean and I often stroll on beaches at sunset, watching the horizon that connects the ocean to heaven.
I meditate on every wave.
Life is much like the ocean-up and down, in the constant motion.

One evening at sunset, I felt as I was gazing, my heart merge and become one with the great golden red expanse of the sky and the ocean.
Then the sky became darker and the wind blew strongly, making the waves larger. 
It seemed I was the only one who existed in the world.

I was about to leave the beach when I noticed a lantern waving in the ocean, appearing and disappearing with the waves. As it drifted closer, I saw that the lantern led the way for two guardian spirits walking on the water in front of a chair. Over it gleamed the words: "The Holy Mother of Feng-Lin Temple."
After a moment, both the chair and the guardians disappeared.

The next day I asked a villager if there was a temple called Feng-Lin in the village.

"Yes," an old man answered, "there's the Feng-Lin Temple where they worship the goddess Ma-tsu."

That evening I went to the Feng-Lin Temple.
I had a habit of worshipping in the temple of every place I visited regardless of the size or the kind.
I lit incense and bowed to the Holy Mother.
I heard her voice say, "Devotee, have you already achieved the ability of divine healing?"

"Yes, I have come to ask the Bodhisattva for knowledge."

"What would you like to know?"

"I'd like to know the way to stay in good health."

The Holy Mother Ma-tsu answered: "Pay attention to what you eat. 
The five tastes are acrid, sour, salty, sweet and bitter. 
These five tastes are to adjust the Ch'i of Yin and Yang. 
It is necessary to have them all in daily life, yet it is important to be moderate. 
Without moderation the five elements in your body will be out of balance. 
Then one gets sick. 
If you use the five tastes in moderation, they will be good for you. 
People in ancient times didn't cook very much. 
That's why they lived longer. 
When man discovered fire and complicated his diet, all six emotions were aroused. 
This covered up their spiritual awareness. 
Here is the important key to health, dear one. Are you listening?"

"I am, Holy Mother Ma-tsu."

"The food you eat should be whole and simple and balanced. 
Most people know this already. 
However, the key to health is not food, but thought. 
When thoughts are pure and whole, health is assured. 
You are what you think, not what you eat."

"Oh, yes, I see."

"Hmmm," she continued, "I see red, gold and white light emanating from your face.
You must be a very spiritually evolved soul.
I also see the God of Virtue following you.
May I ask where you received your spiritual training?"

"Bodhisattva, my name is Lian Shen.
I was originally a Christian.
Later I took a divine decree from the Golden Mother to learn from Master San-shan-chiu-hou and from Master Ching-chen.
I have come to this place on a surveying assignment.
Yesterday I saw you making an inspection of the ocean.
This is why I came to visit and worship you."

"I do not know Master San-shan-chiu-hou, but I have heard that Master Ch'ing-chen is a pure-hearted Taoist. Very good, very good."

"Bodhisattva, Master San-shan-chiu-hou is not a person, he is a spiritual entity.
I call him my Spirit Master. He is a celestial being in the formless realm."

"Forgive my ignorance. Lian Shen, if you have time, please visit often."

Later, when I worshipped the Golden Mother in my home shrine, I sent a Fu to notify the deities in all ten quarters of the world. The Holy Mother of the Feng-lin Temple came to visit along with many other deities.


Amituofo
Lotuschef
Pure Karma
True Buddha School


No comments:

Post a Comment