Monday, July 25, 2011

25-7-2011 The Worship of Kuan Yin Bodhisattva



The Flying Carpet of the East 
By Living Buddha Sheng-yen Lu
Translated by Shan Tung Hsu P.hD., Bekka, Karin Greenway
This was translated from Grandmaster Lu's 31st book, 東方的飛氈.


Before I began worshiping the Bodhisattvas, there was not one Buddhist statue in my family's home.
My mother worshipped ancestors.
My family never anticipated that their home would hold a large shrine.
At first, I kept my study of dharma secret even from my family and co-workers.
At that time Master San-shan-chiu-hou gave me my dharma name: Lian Shen (Lotus Reborn).

One evening I asked," Master, may I set up statues of the Bodhisattvas and worship them?"

"Yes," he replied. "Actually there is a good reason for you to do so.
In the future your family's home will have a large shrine."

"What Bodhisattvas should I worship?"

"Anyone who pleases you most."

"May I worship a Statue of you?" I asked.

"Most people don't know my original face.
Even in the Taoist sutras my name is hidden.
I'm in everything, everywhere, yet no one recognizes me.
How can you worship me?
Besides, I've gotten used to not being called upon, so don't worship me?
Worship the other Bodhisattvas."

ls there any merit attained by worshipping the Bodhisattvas?

"Buddha says:
'To give rice to 100 unrighteous people is not as good as to give rice to one virtuous person.
To give rice to 1,000 virtuous people is not as good as to give rice to one person who follows the 5 precept vows.
To give rice to 10,000 people who follow the 5 precept vows is not as good as to give rice to one Srota-apanna (one who has entered the stream of holy living).
To give rice to one Srota-apanna is not as good as to give rice to one Sakrdagamin (only once more to be born).
To give rice to 10 billion Sakrdagamin is not as good as to give rice to one Anagamin (non-returner).
To give rice to 100 million Anagamin is not as good as to give rice to one Arhat (free, exalted one).
To give rice to one billion Arhats is not as good as to give rice to one Buddha.
To give rice to one billion Buddhas is not as good as to give rice to all the Buddhas of the past, present and future.
And yet to give rice to 100 billion Buddhas of the past, present and future is not as good as to give rice to one common person. '
"Lian Shen, to give rice means to make an offering. Do you understand?"
"I understand," I respectfully answered.

One day I went to a department store in Tai-Chung.
I was in the ceramic section when suddenly I saw a stage of Kuan-Yin Bodhisattva.
It looked different than the other Kuan-Yn statues I had seen.
It was about 8 inches tall, was a light green color with a grayish undertone, and a solemn, dignified face.
The figure sat on a lotus flower.
I liked it right away and inquired about the price.

The salesman said: "This Kuan-Yin has already been worshipped by other people.
The vase she holds is broken. The person who owns it asked me to sell it for him because the broken vase is a bad omen. If you still want it, how about 15 yen?"

"Fifteen yen? Wow, that's really inexpensive!" I immediately bought I it and took it back to my apartment.
I put the stage on my desk and lit a stick of incense.

That night I had a dream. I saw a vast ocean.
A beautiful lotus flower emerged from it, and on the lotus flower sat Kuan-Yn, with a devout and serene face.
She came closer to me and smiled.
In the sky behind her shone a bright cloud, and on it stood a gold-armored god holding a weapon.
Later I learned that his name is Veda Guardian and that he is the guardian of Kuan-Yin.
He thundered out: Lian Shen, the Buddha has commanded me to give you the name of your shrine: Tz'u-hui-lei-chung Temple. Remember, remember."

Then both Kuan-Yin and Veda disappeared and I woke up, recalling what had occurred.
I looked at the Kuan-Yin I had bought earlier that day.
To my surprise, the Kuan-Yin in the dream looked just like it.
I got out of bed and respectfully bowed to the Kuan-Yin statue three times.
As I bowed I smelled incense, then felt my spirit master present.

"Master, did I do it right?" I asked.
"Lian Shen, because you worshipped Kuan-yin today, once in the future Kuan-Yin will save your life."
"Save my life?"
"Yes," my Master said. "When the time draws near I will tell you more."
Later his words came true.
It was an amazing experience.

During the period I was worshipping Kuan-Yin, the man I worked for, Captain Chuang, talked to my parents and said, "Mr. Lu, I've been noticing that your son is behaving peculiarly. He even worships Kuan-Yin in his apartment. Do you think there's anything wrong with him?"

"I don't think so," my father replied.
"He is very sincere in his beliefs and when I talk with him he seems to have a clear mind. Is there a rule against worshipping Buddha in your organization?"

"No, but I feel he's acting strangely. He predicted that I will get transferred to Taipei in the middle of July. When did he learn divination?"

"The middle of July is still half a year away," Captain Chuang said.

"Divination? I didn't know that about my son!" my father said, startled.

Later that year, on July 17th, Captain Chuang transferred to Taipei.

After that he always mentioned to people that my predictions were very accurate.

The method I learned, taught by Master San-shan-Chiu-hou, was the use of the hexagram of the I Ching.

He said the hexagram contained the transformation of the whole universe. Full mastery of it allows one to know everything on earth, past, present and future.


Amituofo
Lotuschef
Pure Karma
True Buddha School


No comments:

Post a Comment