Monday, August 22, 2011

佛珠?? Buddha's beads??


Terjemahan Indonesia: Japamala Buddha??


我好肯定係漏左串佛珠向酒店!!!!!! 但客服話搵唔到!!!!!! why?!?!?!

The above awaken yet another memory.

Back in 2006, while I was doing voluntary work in a local monastery, a friend, Dr Y, introduced me to her patient, Z, who is a Chinese Language tutor giving home tuition.

We were at the monastery and Z saw a string of wooden beads  I was wearing around my neck.

It is a 108-beads necklace.

Z: You cannot wear Buddha's Beads, only Shifu (venerables) can.
Me: Huh????
Z: Take it down now!

Dr Y, gave me a glance to not answer.

I removed the beaded necklace in question and  smile at Dr Y.

Dr Y has a Master Degree in Buddhist Philosophy.

I had similar encounters and I explained that these are good luck charm blessed by a Hinayana [小乘] master for protection as I travel frequently. As I do not know how to use chanting beads and also don't know how to chant, I also don't think this row of beads can be classified as Chanting beads (念珠).

HAHAHA!

Fixation and Attachment:

Why a row of beads threaded together like those stringed together for counting purposes when chanting have properties or usages that are not recorded in any Dharani?

Does Buddha has BEADS?

Why only Venerables or Masters can wear them?

I also learnt that they have special ways to wear them to denote "HIERARCHY"!!!

In Buddha's time, there are no such things as Buddha's beads or chanting beads (念珠).

Even Dharani are recorded mostly by Ananda, from memory.

The accuracy of these Dharani varies with the memory power of those that recorded them.


Recently, GM commented that the ones that recorded a certain episode of 6th Patriarch's

Sutra didn't do a good job which resulted in confusion.

I humbly believe that understanding what the Dharani conveys is more important than chanting blindly or forcing one's interpretation onto others.

The Eight Fold Path teaches us to be discerning and not to jump to conclusion and act impulsively without consideration for the effect our actions will bring to others.

If our action make anyone unhappy then we have no idea what Buddha's teachings is all about.

It is of utmost importance to LEAVE SUFFERINGS BEHIND and ATTAIN HAPPINESS for self as well as others.

Dr Y knows Z well. Z only see what she sees as the truth and is dictatorial too. She reprimands others thinking she is right and has the right to 'scold' those she perceives as wrong.

We had lunch at another monastery with the Abbot who has a back injury and Dr Y brought me along to heal her. Z happens to tag along too.

There were some visiting venerables from China, they were talking about IT which is my favorite subjects.

I answered some of their questions Z glared at me from across the table, also she signals me to shut up.

Hahaha!

This abbot is a very friendly and caring person. Dr Y and I dine there frequently upon her invitation after treatment sessions.

For those masters/venerables that claimed that only they can do this and that in order to impress upon others that they are more superior, I suggest you walk or run from them.


I was scolded by followers of another temple when I sang a catchy tune which turns out to be Vairocana Dharani.

They chanted this for 21 times before they start consultation session at the temple.

They said only the master can chant alone. Followers can chant along with the master but not alone in private.


Let us all be more discerning and diligent.

Understand what you are doing.

Do not at any time impose your interpretation upon others; forcing others to abide by what you perceived as RIGHT.


Amituofo / Lotuschef / Pure Karma / True Buddha School

No comments:

Post a Comment